Thursday, May 8, 2008

Reflections on Mother's Day

I know some women that hate Mother's Day. They say when they go to church and listen to all the stories about perfect mothers, they feel quilty. And when they look forward to having a special day and nothing out of the ordinary happens, it makes them cranky. I have been guilty of those feelings. But over the years, I have chosen a different way. No guilt trips for me during church. And I treat Mother's Day as any other day, then if nice things are done for me, it's a bonus! This is my second Mother's Day without my mom. How I miss her. No one loves you like your mother. And when she is gone, there seems to be a big hole, somehow trying to be filled. I know she is not completely gone, though. And I can feel her love whether I see her here with me or not. How great is that?

4 comments:

Battfam said...

I love that picture and I love that you blogged about this. I have to give a talk on Mother's Day and it has been stumping me. I agree with you completely about how to enjoy Mother's Day. In fact, the two things you wrote about were the exact two things I told someone just yesterday. I still don't really know what to do for the talk, but at least I know I'm thinking along the same lines as a pretty smart person and a great mom...you!

Lucy said...

Loved the picture, too Myrna. No guilt here on Mothers Day....We do the best we can and that's it!

Battfam said...

Sorry, me again. But I just noticed a fun thing on your post. You wrote that when some women go to church and listen to all the stories about perfect mothers, they feel quilty. I think you meant guilty. What a fun typo. You really are the Quilting Queen. Happy Mother's Day!

mickelsenfamily said...

Myrna,
I just have to comment and tell you how much I love your blog. I don't know how I found it but I love that you have one. Everytime I see you I think "We all ought to float the river again this summer" I know you live in Soda now but that was a fun day when we all did that. Anyway, just want to say hi and I love your blog.
Jaime (Zweifel) Mickelsen