Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A-Subbing I Will Go

North Gem .... a small and interesting school. Grades K-12 all attend school in this same building. Classes sizes average around 14. The grade school kids get to do a lot of the same things as the high school....go to the pep rallies, participate in plays and musicals, and even get to march in the homecoming parade. They are very proud of their school and all the positive things that come along with being so small.
I decided this year to put my name on the sub list at the school. My friend, Kathy, who is the district secretary mentioned that there's a real need. I am no stranger to the teaching / subbing world. I was an aide in Mesa in a first grade class of handicapped kids. It was hard work, but very rewarding. I still think about those kids and wonder what they are doing now... as adults. When we moved back to Idaho, I subbed at Central Elementary in St Anthony for a few years. But for the last 15 or so years, Roy has kept me busy helping him in his businesses. He's not using me in the shop much anymore, so I ventured out. I was a little nervous, but it has been good for me.

My favorite place to sub is in the office. I'm subbing there now while the secretary takes a class twice a week. I make copies, answer the phone ("Good morning, North Gem"), stuff envelopes, do some filing, etc. Sometimes, I just read a book or work on projects. My least favorite place to sub is in the elementary...those kids can be bouncing off the walls sometimes. I so much admire those that choose to be grade school teachers! One day before Christmas, they were really desperate, (so much sickness) they asked me to come and be the kindergarten / preschool teacher! That was a stressful day! Good thing I had a lot of Primary teaching experience.

I have surprised myself and have not minded subbing in the high school. One place I like to sub is in shop class....after all, I do know my way around a shop. They have a cool plasma cutter and can do amazing things with it. With the help of one of the students, I made this cool metal sign for Val for Christmas. (His new welding business is called "Black Dog Fabricating") One day I was subbing in a junior high math class and they got their work all done, so we spent the rest of the time playing "Name That Tune" with my cell phone music. I'm finding with a little creativity, you can get the job done.

Go Cowboys!


5 comments:

Battfam said...

I'll bet all the kids love you from grade 1 to 12.

Lucy said...

Way to go Myrna. I always knew you had lots of patience and a talent for loving kids. Good on ya.

Anonymous said...

You look pretty darn official to me, myrna!

Cute one of Bella too!

You inspire me...

love,
shauna

di said...

WOW SIS! You never seize to amaze me. You look pretty good behind that desk. luv ya

Nate and Kelly said...

That is so awesome!!! I bet you're the sweetest elementary school teacher, who wouldn't love you!