Saturday, July 10, 2010

Feeling Mom's Love

After my mom passed away in 2006, Karen and I wanted to get starts from her beautiful peonies. She loved peonies, and we wanted to have them on her casket spray, but it was the wrong time of year. So we got the closest look-alike we could find. Early that Spring, we went to her front yard and dug up some starts. We really didn't know what we were going to get, because she had red, pink, and white ones out there. I brought them home and ended up with about 6 starts growing along my fence to the side of my house. Years went by....some of them grew, and some of them died. The green part got bigger and bigger, and last year little buds formed, but still no blossoms. I loved looking out my kitchen window, though, and seeing them everyday.

Then last week when we returned home after being gone a few days, we were checking out the garden and greenhouse. We walked around the back of the house and WOW! The biggest peony bush was in full bloom, with the most beautiful white flowers, dotted with the tiniest of dark pink color here and there. My heart was touched and it felt like I was getting a hug from my mom!
I don't know what color the other two plants blossoms are going to be, but I'll continue to baby them along until some year they bloom, too. Thanks, mom, for sending your love to me. Miss you..... and love you, too.


3 comments:

Lucy said...

I love that!

di said...

Got tears in my eyes reading that post!

Nate and Kelly said...

I miss her too. I'm glad you have those flowers at your house.