Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Summer in a Nutshell

Warning...this blog post may be a little long. There have been a lot of things going on with us this summer and I feel the need to touch on most of them. Bear with me...


We felt the need to see our two sweet aunts, Aunt Fern and Aunt Noni. So Karen, Di, and I set up a visit with them, and before we knew it there was a party! The Furness cousins joined us and brought a scrumptious lunch. Then we just sat around asking the two aunts questions, giggling, and sharing memories. It was a great time!

We spent the 4th of July in Driggs this year. It was a change of pace for us and we loved it. We rode the Grand Targhee ski lift to the top where winter was still showing its face. Looking at the Tetons never gets old.

We hiked to a pretty waterfall in Teton canyon.


I had always wanted to see the hot air balloons in Driggs.

It was quite the sight...and worth the 5:30 wake-up call!


Roy was diagnosed with full-blown sugar diabetes this summer. Big changes in his eating habits followed and now, 25 lbs lighter, he is doing much better.


The grandkids came down again this summer for a week of swimming lessons at Lava Hot Springs. One day we took them fishing at a small pond in Soda Springs.

We also played in the lake. Love this action shot of Sicilee jumping off the dock.

Our bi-annual Skidmore family reunion was held the end of July at Brianhead ski resort in southern Utah. Roy was partied out so I went without him this time. Sadly the only ones of my family that went were Sicilee and Haddi, who rode along with me and were great company. This is us at Bryce Canyon.

Even though we're all getting a little grayer, balder, fluffier, etc... I really love my siblings and jump at any chance to spend time with them.

River was baptized on his birthday in the Teton River. It rained before and after, but thankfully not at the time. The spirit was strong there. Roy was one of the speakers and mentioned how River followed Jesus' example by also getting baptized in a river. He had to get dunked 4 times in order to get the job done!

Our annual Eddins-Smuin campout was held at the West End campground at the Island Park reservoir.

The water was down quite a lot, and the weather was less than desirable, but there was still a lot of fun to be had at the beach: motorcycling, kite flying (shown above),

sand digging, and swimming.

We even found huckleberries to pick. This is Misty and her 3 cutie-pie girls.

Roy always had a couple of grandkids on his lap....a tough job, but someone's gotta do it! This is Axel and Bella.

We four-wheeled to the top of Caribou Mountain with our friends, Gordon and Sherry. It's hard to see in the picture, but you can see the top of the tallest Teton in the background, as well as part of Palisades reservoir. Another beautiful spot.

Labor Day weekend found us camping at Birch Creek, fishing, sight-seeing, and four-wheeling. This is Roy standing by the Indian writings on the rocks there. Roy said we saw these before when were in grade school on a field trip, but I didn't remember it. I thought they were really cool.

Pass Creek Lake used to be one of our favorite destinations when we lived in Monteview. Roy used to catch huge trout out of here. It has changed a bit over the years....and our mode of travel has changed, too. I used to ride up here with him on the back of his motorcycle.

Eight-mile canyon....a gorgeous view! You can see all of Monteview and Mud Lake from up here. Even further on a clear day.

The summer of 2010...great memories made. Now here comes Fall...ready or not!

6 comments:

Nate and Kelly said...

You were busy busy!!!! I sure do miss you guys, and wish that we lived closer! Love you!

Lucy said...

Looks like lots of family fun to me. Fun summer!

Lataun said...

Good times, good times! Ok, two things...I can just see Boston doing his "chunky monkey dance" in that beach pic and HEY...I want to see those Indian drawings in Birch Creek! Where was I? Now we have to go back there...

di said...

Loved the blog. But you kept saying the weather didn't cooperate!!! I agree..we didn't have a nice summer.

Battfam said...

I can't believe all the things you do. It's amazing. Looks like you had lots of fun other than Roy's diabetes. Sounds like he's doing everything right though. Loved your post, as always.

chocolate_e73 said...

What a great summer you had! And wow, I do remember the field trip to Birch Creek to see those Indain drawings. I also remember coming back with an unwanted woodtick friend! lol