Ever since Roy turned 60 last December, I've been dreading June 11, 2012. Turning 40 didn't bother me, reaching 50 didn't phase me, but this birthday has eaten on me more than I'd like to admit. I can no longer say I'm fifty-something. Wow...how can that happen?
The Saturday before my birthday started out pretty uneventful. I spent the morning doing laundry and cleaning house. At about 2:30 pm, Roy came in and said he wanted to take me up Millcreek Canyon to see a herd of elk that his friend had called to tell him about. So off we went. We drove the pick-up as far as we could, then took off on foot up the trail, being quiet as to not spook the elk. It was beautiful up there, so green and lush this time of year. The trail was getting narrower with high cliffs going up both sides. We went around a bend and I saw a big piece of cardboard with "Happy birthday, Mernie" spray-painted on it. "How sweet," I thought. "Roy must have come up here earlier and placed the sign so I could see it." We paused for a hug. Roy wasn't saying anything. Then out of the blue, a machine gun started going off! First on one side, then on the other, then all around us! I screamed and hung on closer to him. (It was actually firecrackers being thrown down from the cliffs up above us.) I looked up and the first person I saw was Jack. So I thought, "Oh, Val is in on this." Then I saw Boston, then out of the trees and down the trail came every one of my kids, their spouses, and grand kids! I couldn't believe my eyes! Are you kidding me? Everyone from Bancroft to Bozeman, and all points in between! Lots of hugs all around, followed by stories of how everyone got there and hid in the woods, with text messages coordinating everything. Stories of how the two babies started to fuss right before we got there, and how the moms both had to nurse them to quiet them down while hiding in the brush!
We all hiked down the trail and took a few pictures. The kids had hidden their vehicles down a side road. Then we went back to our house where Roy had ribs and chicken smoking all morning in the smoker out behind the shop. I hadn't a clue. The girls all brought food to go with it and we had a feast.
A little later, they had me sit down in front of the TV. Faren put in a DVD he had made. Up on the screen came pictures of me set to some of my favorite music. It
started with my childhood (found out Max was in on that part), and went
into having my own family, and so on. Faren found music that
fit the pictures and the occasion just perfect. I cried.
Meg brought out the strawberry shortcake...a common known fact it's my favorite. After lighting candles, singing Happy Birthday, and having cake and cupcakes, I opened presents.... as if all this that happened thus far wasn't present enough! Some very thoughtful and useful gifts came from all the kids, for which I am very grateful. Then Roy's gift was last.
Let me preface this paragraph by saying that Roy has found a new hobby the last few months. It started out with a young men's group coming down to our shop to learn how to build knife handles out of different kinds of wood. After lots of tinkering and experimenting, he built me a whole knife set, including the butcher block to hold them. He used #2 hickory for the wood (to match my cabinets), and used a big saw blade for the actual blades. It is beautiful and amazing!
When it got dark, the party moved outside where Seth had a fireworks show for us. All of Bancroft heard the celebration, I'm sure! It was loud, bright, and wonderful. The next day, Robert took family pictures. It's not very often we are all together in the same place these days. (Have not seen them yet...but it's very possible some of you might be getting one in your Christmas card this year!)
Can you tell why I said it was the best birthday EVER! I feel very loved. I'm still coming down from the high! And hey.. I've decided 60 is the new 45!


3 comments:
I love your birthday party!
You must have done something good, heh?
What a unique surprise party! You guys come up with the best stuff.
I'm with you on 60 being the new 45. It's just around the corner and looking at it that way makes it a lot better.
How fun to have all your sweet babies and grand babies around you all at once! It sounds like it was a blast!! :)
Post a Comment