Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Book Club

I've always loved to get lost in a good book.  I guess I had a good teacher....my mom.  A vivid childhood memory I have is watching my mom disappear for what seemed like days on end when her monthly Reader's Digest condensed book came in the mail.  She would shut herself up in her room and "get lost" in her new book.  I really admire how an author can put words down on a page and make such pictures in your mind.   I remember reading Stephen King's "Misery" with Robert when we were both working in the potatoes one year.  We were both driving truck and had the book handy to pick up whenever there was a wait.  It was late at night once, and I was engrossed in one of the scary parts, and about jumped out of my skin when he came up and knocked on the truck door!  I told someone I thought the book was a lot scarier than the movie.  They said, "How could that be?"  
It just is....

I'd never been in a book club before.  I listened with envy as my daughter and others told about meeting once a month in their book clubs to talk about the book they had all read.  So I was excited to be invited to join a book club starting up in our town. 

Our first book was "The Help."  I had already read it, but was happy to talk about it again when the group  came to my house for the first meeting.  I served chocolate pie for refreshments!

The next book .... another story based on a dark stain on our social history....people being locked up in institutions for being mentally challenged, or just plain deaf or blind.
This book is a classic, that was recommended by lots of people.  Set in the early nineteen hundreds Brooklyn, New York, it covers a difficult life of a poor immigrant family with the daughter being the main focus.  Just finished it and loved it!

This is our next read.  It also looks to be very compelling and interesting.  It runs in my mind that my husband's grandma Reed lived in this area close to time of the Dust Bowl.  I will be thinking of her while I read this.  Another book to make me stop and realize how good we have it and remember to never take anything for granted.

Being in a book club is good exercise for the brain, and it just makes me feel a little smarter somehow... 

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Reading good books does make you feel smarter. And I all ready thought you are very smart! I actually did some reading in 2011, not too good so far in 2012.

Battfam said...

I enjoy the book club we have in our area too. It's good to keep our brains from getting too fuzzy. I will have to keep an eye on what you are reading so I can have some suggestions for our group.