
Whenever I describe the town where I live now, I find myself using the word "sleepy." The once thriving little town turned into nearly nothing when the new highway was built back in the 80's that made it possible to bypass the town. When we first moved here, someone told us how Bancroft "comes alive" on July 24th, with thousands of people coming from all over. I yawned and said, 'Yeah, right." Well, it is true. It starts at 6:00 a.m. when a truck with a loudspeaker rides all through town announcing the events of the day and playing old-time western music. If you weren't awake by then, you are now! There's a breakfast, a 5-K run, a parade, crafts and food on the school lawn, talent show, dutch oven dinner, bingo, and a rodeo....supposedly the longest running rodeo in the state of Idaho. It's nothing compared to the Pioneer Day celebration in St Anthony, the town where we moved from, but it's what works here...and the natives love it. Guess I will, too.





2 comments:
I'll bet Val was glad that he didn't have to ride in the bathtub on the float, too! If it wasn't for people like you guys, it wouldn't still be going, though.
I've been thinking all day, especially after one of the truck drivers that came today mentioned it, how there wasn't a single thing going on in the Idaho Falls area on the 24th of July. Not today or even Saturday, like they used to. Kind of sad.
The driver was from Bountiful Utah, and said they still do it up in Utah pretty good.
I'm glad Bancroft is keeping it up. I like Val's truck too. I can see why she asked him to pull the float. I hope Val got some good advertisement for business out of the deal anyway. If not, he got some good marks.
Post a Comment