Monday, June 23, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow

There's something therapeutic and uplifting about growing a garden. They are a lot of work, and the harvest calls at sometimes the most inopportune time. But mostly I get a lot of satisfaction out of it. In the past, I've had huge gardens and some years I wasn't able to have any garden. Here in Bancroft I've had to cut way down from what I am used to. My yard space is very limited. The climate here does not allow time for growing corn. And if you want tomatoes, you have to have a greenhouse. It's okay .... it's more my speed now anyway. I just love looking out my kitchen window, and watching my garden grow!

A sink full of strawberries! I love this picture I took when I had a big strawberry patch at my St Anthony house. We loved having them, making jam, shortcake, and sharing with others. My grandkids ask me the other day when I was going to get a strawberry patch here. I'm not sure the ground is right for them here. But we're going to try. They loved dipping them in sugar and eating them fresh.

"Children of the Corn"

This picture was taken several years ago at grandma and grandpa Eddins house. They have always had an amazing garden. That year the corn grew ten feet tall!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lucy said...

No corn would make me sad, but I agree with you about the garden. We didn't do one for lots of years, but then we got back to it. Last year we decided to just kill weeds in our garden spot because we had such a time with one in particular. When it got to be about the end of June, Jay showed Geri & I where he had planted a "secret garden". We called it that all summer, and it was just fun & small. A few onions, great tomatoes and lots of corn. It was in part of his coral that he wasn't using for the summer.
Anyway, I love your pix of the strawberries the most. Beautiful!!!

Battfam said...

Great post again, Myrna. I know I'm going to miss the garden and the therapy it gives me. The picture made me want to go out and see if I have any strawberries on yet. I've seen quite a few blossoms and a few fresh ones would be so tasty right now.